Upcoming Events and Opportunities
There are two ways to donate:
Here's how your support can give a gift that grows...
Before he planted his garden, 11-year-old Gerald Austin had difficulty eating healthy, fresh foods. But last year with the help of Food Matters Manitoba he was able to grow carrots and lettuce in a raised bed close to his home in Fox Lake, MB Gerald is one of the many young people Food Matters Manitoba is working with to reclaim the skills of their grandparents to grow healthy food in their communities. Northern Manitoba communities are faced with serious issues, but with more gardens like Gerald’s we can combat many of the challenges that Manitoba Families face.
- In Northern Manitoba healthy food is out of reach for many. A jug of milk costs over $20, which
is 4 times higher than what people pay in Winnipeg.
- Child obesity rates have doubled in the past 2 years leaving them vulnerable to diabetes and other chronic diseases. Diabetes alone costs the province nearly $500 million a year and rates are projected to increase by 47 per cent by 2020.
- Many people have lost the ability to cook healthy meals for their families. On average people
only spend 18 minutes a day – for all 3 meals – cooking and washing up.
Studies show that every $1 spent on food programs can save up to $10 on healthcare costs. Food Matters Manitoba is a driving force behind many projects that are doing just that. From northern and newcomer gardens to good food boxes in Winnipeg's North End, to top chefs partnering with local farmers and high school students, we're strengthening the vibrant and growing local food movement in our province. With donations of time and money from generous community members, we can help kids like Gerald and Manitobans around the province access healthy food. You can read more about our successes here in our annual report.
In just 6 short years we have grown from a small group of volunteers working on the vision of the Manitoba Food Charter to an organization that is having tremendous impact.
By giving a gift that grows of $25, $50, or $100 Food Matters Manitoba can:
- Grow new & traditional food skills and help families in Northern Manitoba access fresh foods.
- Assist New Canadians and help all Manitobans share their food traditions.
- Help over 3000 Manitobans Dig In! to build healthy food skills, connect with local farmers,
and learn about fair food so that everyone has access to healthy sustainable food at farm
Please consider giving a gift that grows. Donate today! The future success of our programs
and the health of many Manitobans will depend on donations from individuals like you.