Berry season is upon us! What better way to celebrate after a day of picking wild berries than to bake them into a BERRY tasty dessert!
Berries are high in fiber, and prevent disease and cell damage
Yogurt is good for a healthy stomach and strong bones
For the berry filling:
6 cups freshly picked mixed berries (or if you can’t make it out to go picking use 2 bags of frozen berries)
4 tablespoons honey (can be substituted with maple or birch syrup)
8 tbsp (½ cup) lemon juice
4 tsp cinnamon
8 tbsp (1/2 cup) Whole Wheat flour
For the crumble:
2 cup rolled oats
¾ Cup Whole Wheat flour
8 Tbsp (1/2 Cup) canola oil OR coconut oil
8 Tbsp (1/2 Cup) honey (can be substituted with maple or birch syrup)
*Yogurt for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. If you’re using frozen berries, defrost in the microwave until soft (4-6 minutes, depending on microwave).
- In a small bowl, mix together the berries, honey (or syrup), lemon juice, cinnamon, and whole wheat flour. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the rolled oats, whole flour, and honey. (If using coconut oil melt in the microwave on medium heat until liquid.
- Drizzle the oil into the mixture and stir well. The ingredients should start to clump together, forming a crumble-like texture.
- Spray a 9″ by 9″ baking dish or pie plate with non-stick spray. Pour the berry mixture in first, then sprinkle the crumble topping over its surface.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the berry mixture is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Serve warm.
- Add a generous spoonful of plain yogurt to your berry crumble!