We tried this DIY Ramen in a jar recipe with some youth from Rainbow Resource Centre. This was the second time this class has happened but the first class of a new 8-week session we’ll be giving. The youth loved the recipe and were most excited to learn that it was financially accessible ($25ish dollars fed 11 of us, WITH seconds)!
- 1 – 3 tsp flavour (miso paste, bouillon cube, curry paste…)
- 1 – 2 tsp additional flavour (soy sauce, sriracha sauce, sesame oil…)
- ¼ cup – ½ cup filler/hearty ingredients (frozen veg, tofu, cooked meats, hard or soft boiled egg, hearty greens like kale/chard, mushrooms…)
- ¾ cup – 1 cup noodles (cooked spaghetti or fettuccine, cooked rice noodles, cooked udon, dry vermicelli, dry “instant” ramen noodles…)
- ¼ cup – ½ cup fresh ingredients (fresh herbs, chives, radish, sprouts, slices of lime/lemon…)
- Add ingredients to 500 ml wide-mouthed Mason jar in order listed (flavour on the bottom of the jar to fresh herbs on top).
- Seal and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat, they will keep for up to a week.
- When you’re ready to eat your soup, simply add hot or boiling water (boiling water is suggested if your noodles are uncooked/dry), put the lid back on and let sit for 2-5 minutes, open, stir, and enjoy!
Recipe by: Owen Campbell, Community Food Facilitator