Snobby Joes, the vegetarian (and vegan!) version of the infamous Sloppy Joes recipe, is a hit in both the Kid’s Cooking Classes and the Community Tables program. They are delicious, affordable, easy and quick to make, and very filling. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
1 cup uncooked red lentils
4 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium-size yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
¼ cup tomato paste
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
Dinner rolls or buns sliced in half horizontally
Lettuce and shredded cheese (optional)
1) Pour lentils and water into a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil.
2) Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer until the lentils are soft.
3) Drain and set aside.
4) Preheat a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and pepper in the oil until softened.
5) Add the garlic and sauté for a minute more.
6) Stir in the cooked lentil, chili powder, oregano, and salt.
7) Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
8) Add the maple syrup and mustard to taste.
9) Serve on open-faced buns. Top with shredded cheese and lettuce if you like!